Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Hat...World Famous Pastrami


Whenever we go to Los Angeles, one place we always try to visit is The Hat. These little pastrami joints are mainly frequented by locals. My brother Si took us years back for our first Pastrami Dips and we have been hooked ever since.


We started off with the Chili Cheese Fries ($4.19). Perfectly cooked fries. Crispy and crunchy, topped with a meaty and flavorful chili. Mix in shredded cheese and...Mmm Umm! What a perfect starter.


I ordered the famous Pastrami Dip ($6.49). A pile of hot pastrami served on a hogie bun with some mustard and pickles and a side of Au Jus. I sometimes order this sandwich "Double Dipped", where they dip the hoggie in Au Jus before assembly. The pastrami was juicey and you could taste the sweetness from the bits of fat. I was so drawn in by the wonderful flavors, I forgot to breath inbetween bites. I finished every last morsel. My heart started hurt on the last bite. Was it because I had no more pastrami or because of the pastrami?


Pan ordered the Pastrami Burger ($6.49). A grilled hamburger patty topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato, special sauce and a heaping pile of piping hot pastrami. What a wonderful combination. Fortunately for me, Pan had filled up on the chili cheese fries and could only finish half of her burger. being the good husband, I happily played the role of "cleaner".

I am sure my cholesterol level spiked a few times, but it was worth it. Now with 10 locations in the Los Angeles area, The Hat is a local joint that I highly recommend.

Pan Says:I like the hamburger, but with pastrami extra. Fried potato topped with meaty chili and cheese very very good. Me likey lots.

Baby Says: Why I not cleaner?

16 Comments:

Blogger Devra said...

We recently dragged our webmaster to New York. She lives in Louisiana and needed to see real Pastrami in action. Seriously, when I lived in Louisiana, I ordered a pastrami sandwich and was asked "White or Wheat?" I was expecting the lightening bolt to hit the counter man! I hope someone invites Aviva and me to Los Angeles to do a speaking engagement/book discussion because now I want to check out The Hat! Looks yummy! (And we will drag our webmaster there too!)

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, yeah i can look it up but where in lovely los angeles is the hat? yum! pastrami! i would eat that for breakfast right now if i could.

7:28 AM  
Blogger robwonton said...

LOL, I have been to the Monterey Park and Simi Valley locations. I dont have the exact address...sorry. Here is the web link for their other locations.

http://www.thehat.com/

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction Wonton! We go to the Alhambra location, not the Monterey Park location. The Alhambra location on Garvey and Valley is the original. It only has outdoor seating. Eating a big juicy pastrami dip (get it double dipped) while shivering on a cold winter night is tradition for us.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arrrgh my heart! The Hat is one of favorites as well - we usually go to the one in Monterey Park! Double Dipped, two handed, messy pastrami at it's best!

9:08 AM  
Blogger tashiblog said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

9:13 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

I LOVE chili-cheese fries and those look so gooooood!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Paul Motes said...

You have a pretty cool site. I already want to eat at the hat, and I also like your links.

What's up with the paypal button? I am starting a huanitarian aide blog for oprhanges in Kyrgyzstan, how do you get a donation account and all that jazz?

Again great aite, and you and your wife seem very happy.
Congradulations on the soon to be baby. You two seem like you'd make cool parents.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Kelvin said...

Kia Ora (Hello) from that krazy blogger down under in New Zealand. Your "post" had me just about running for my knife & fork !!! (hehe) Great blog. Blog on......

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm dieing out here in New Mexico I need a pastrami dip or beef dip. If some one was to open a HAT out here they would be rich and I would be in heaven. I lived in Alhambra for 40 years and even dated a girl that worked at the HAT

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well aint that something? The "Hat" has no customer feedback system. That is a no-no in todays world! Anyway. My comment is that I go to the Glendora Hat late night around 11:00 to 12:00 and found that the pastrami by that time is already cooled down and served not hot. Unacceptable, but still great. Am concerned about health at these temps. Also, last night, Monday April 14, the "great pastrami" which now sells for $6.79! was about half the size I ususally get. I think they were on the low side of meat available, and served what they had left. Unacceptable. Hey Hat! get this message and deliver the goods. Dont go down hill. A responce would bring my pressure down and maybe a smile on my face. Thanks

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly people.. Garvey and Valley..the original. All the other locations are great. But nothing like having it at the original location.

1 W Valley Blvd, Alhambra, CA 91801

can't you feel your heart stopping now and your cholesterol going up!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of the most delicious Au Jus Dipped Pastrami's, If you're in the Calif., South Bay Area by all means treat yourself to a unforgetable delicious Pastrami at
Brolly Hut
16927 Hawthorne Blvd # BI,
Lawndale, CA 90260

Dipped and piled high with pastrami, has mustard and pickles get it with the super delicious fries and help yourself to the yellow peppers on the counter get a drink and enjoy the memory.

I guarantee this will be your first stop if your ever in that area again.

When I visit home from Virginia Beach, Virginia to Calif. in By area, this is my first stop.

Enjoy!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first ate at The Hat in 1961 - Alhambra location - I live in midwest now and have since 1972. whenever I return to LA area whether business or pleasure, I always make at least one trip to The Hat, and the only thing to order is the hot pastrami dipped - sometimes 2 sandwiches. The Hat is part of my late teen early twentys years when cruisin' Valley Blvd was the thing to do on Friday/Saturday night.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now live up here on the coast of Washington State and one of the very few things that I miss about SoCal is The Hat's pastrami. Man, it's almost worth the trip down just for that! I hope they eventually branch out so that I can get one of their heartstoppingly delicious sandwiches without the 1200 mile drive.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born and raised in the San Gabriel Valley and started going t The Hat in the late 1950's. The original is at the corner of Valley and Garfield. N-E corner. I wish they had one here in Vegas.

Tim

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home