Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Andre's Cuban & Puerto Rican Restaurant


Pan and I have been looking for a place in the San Diego area to fill our craving for Cuban cuisine. I have read about Andre's in a few local blogs, so we decided to give them a try.


We started off with the Yuca Frita ($3.95) and the Alcapurias ($4.95). The Yuca was Flakey and crunchy, very mild in flavor. The Yuca was not starchy or dense like potatoes. Reminded me of double cooked fries, tradional French style. The Alcapurias is a fritter with plantain and pork. This was also mild in flavor, but more on the bland side. I think it needed soemthing to balance it out, like a cool yogurt to dip in.


Pan and I split the Ropa Vieja ($13.95). The dinner came with a house salad and black beans and rice. Again, the flavors were mild. Not one thing overpowered another. Nice stewing of shredded beef, tomatoes, onions and peppers. The black beans were very good. They were not overcooked the texture and spice were perfect.


For dessert we ordered the Flan ($3.95). Little on the sweet side. What made this Flan stand out was the cream cheese base. I would come back just for this dessert.

Overall, Andre's is a nice little place. I think the prices are high for the type of food, but then again, that can be said for most places in San Diego. I could not stop dreaming of Cha, Cha, Cha (SF) as I was eating.

Andre's
1235 Morena Blvd
San Diego, CA 92110
(619)275-4114
www.andresres.com

Pan Says: Stew dish...like Hayashi Rice. The more I ate, the more the flavors opened up. Flan...GOOD.

Baby Says:
Me want baby food flavored Flan!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - 6 bucks more for Ropa Vieja during dinner! I think I'll stick with lunch, since Andre's serves more "homestyle" food.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

supposedly there's a new cuban place in north park but that's all i've heard about it. i don't know where it is or if it's good...

i wasn't too keen on andre's when i went but did enjoy poking around the market.

if you're ever in new york, you must go to margon on west 46th in the theater district.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home