Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sage : The Happiest Place on Convoy


Our favorite place to go for dessert is Sage on Convoy, in the Nijiya Shopping Center. This japanese cake shop makes some of the best desserts in San Diego...in my humble opinion. Never overly sugary, always a perfect balance of flavors.



There is always something new offered week to week. As Pan and I waited in line to order, I watched as the man ahead of us ordered 7 different slices. I don't think they were all for him, but with dessert this good, you never know.


Pan ordered the Fruit Tart ($3.50). Custard cream, fresh fruit , gelatin glaze topped with whpping cream.


I ordered the Monblang ($4.50). This is a seasonal item. A graham cracker crust base layer, then a thin layer of white cake, then a Chestnut Cake layer, topped with a dollop of custard cream and then dusted with powdered sugar. Mmmm...wonderful fall dessert.

After we polished off our desserts, Pan looked over at me as I was licking my plate clean. I knew we were thinking the same thing...Round 2.


Pan ordered the Cheese Cake Souffle ($3.25). Thin chocolate cake base, then the light yet rich cheese cake layer, then another thin layer of chocolate cake, topped with a gelatin glaze and caramelized a bit on top.


I ordered Caramel Mouse ($3.75). Thin white cake base, caramel mouse layer, thin chocolate cake layer, followed by another layer of carmel mouse, with another thin layer of white cake, topped with gelatin and caramelized top. I ended up licking this plate clean too!

In the twenty or so minutes we were there, I counted 15 people, who came and ordered Sage's wonderful dessert items. Certain favorites went quick. We contemplated Round 3, but thought better of it. We had to save room for dinner.

Sage - French Cake & Coffee

3860 Convoy St. #112
San Diego, CA 92111
Tel: 858-571-3484

Pan Says: Mmmm...Sooo Good! No Round 3...Whats for dinner then?

Baby Says: Round 3, Round 3, Round 3...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob - The Missus can't help but wander into French Pastry whenever we go shopping at Nijiya. And like you said, these are alot lighter and not overly sweet as non-Asian type cakes and desserts. Have you ever tried the Bakery next to Phuong Tran, it's another of the Missus's favorites. I'm not one for sweets, so I can't even rememeber their name! Some people think that the only place for dessert in San Diego is extraordinary desserts.....sigh

10:11 AM  
Blogger robwonton said...

Extraordinary Desserts produces some wonderful and beautiful desserts, but i find them Extraordinary Pricey. But hay, what do I know, they have enough business to have multi locations.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

I'm so glad I wasn't in front of you in line, 'cause you'd probably watch and see that I actually did eat all 7 desserts myself. : )

That place sounds fabulous. I'm so envious!

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home