Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Japan : January 2008 Tempura


Dubby took us to one of his favorite Tempura Restaurants. This place has been in business for over 20 years. This is a 3 person Mom and Pop operation. Two chefs and a front of the house person.


One of the first thing I notice is that they had a fish tank containing live shrimp. After getting Maya into her chair, Dubby did the ordering.


Right off the bat, to show the freshness of ingredients, the chef preps the live shrimp from the tank, then starts on the Anago (Salt-water eel). I have seen Anago prep in a sushi bar before, but never for Tempura.


While the head chef was prepping our tempura, the younger of the two was preparing a sashimi plater as our starter.

The sashimi was so good it made me sad. Sad for the fact that I know that I will not be able to get this quality in America...without paying out the nose. [Sigh]


Maya busied herself with some pickled vegetables, seaweed and some tempura fried mini "fishes".


Here, the head chef lightly char Abalone, which brings out the flavor.


Tempura shrimp, squid and green pepper.


The Anago Tempura followed by the fried bones (not pictured).


Tempura topped donburi. This a nice mix of vegetables and seafood tempura fried...washed down with a glass of cold beer. At the end of the meal, the head chefs give us some clementines to finish off our meal.

I will have to say that this was some of the best tempura I have ever had. Now that I am back in the states, I do not crave sushi or tempura like I once did. I think its because I do not want to be disappointed. I can only look forward to my next trip to Japan cause I now know where I am going to eat.

Thanks Dubby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home